As promised last week, I'm back with the full tutorial for another very simple DIY headboard for our guest room. I made a headboard a few years ago for our master bedroom, and this one was even easier to make than the last.
I started out by picking up (2) 1x8 boards, each 10' in length. Since my guest bed is full size, I cut each board into two 56" lengths. I had a small scrap piece leftover from each original board. I sanded the edges to make sure there was nothing sharp that could hurt anyone and then started staining.
I used a combination of two stains for this project. The first was Minwax in Classic Grey.
On each board, I took a very small amount of the grey stain and rubbed it in so there was nothing left to rub off. I started with very small amounts and added a bit at a time until I achieved full coverage. The plastic bag is around my hand to protect my skin from the stain, so I can avoid lots of cleanup.
This is how much grey stain I put on each board for the first coat.
Next, I used Minwax Jacobean for the second coat. I've used this same stain on our master bedroom bed and headboard, and the bench on our porch.
I took an even smaller amount of this stain than the first coat of grey. To be safe, you can always add more stain later, but start small. I added a light coat of this dark brown stain to add some warmth to my boards.
If you're into hair, think of it this way. The Classic Grey is the "ash" of the hair colors, and adding a bit of the Jacobean adds the same type of warmth that some "golden" highlights would. Okay, enough girly talk, back to the building of furniture...This is how my boards looked after the Jacobean.
I still wanted them to be a bit darker, and a bit more rustic/worn looking, so I added another very light coat of the Classic Grey until I got the look I wanted.
Here is the first board, completely done. Excuse the poor lighting; I stained these in the basement at night.
I let the boards dry for about 48 hours to make sure they weren't tacky at all, and then moved them upstairs for assembly. To attach each of the 4 boards together, I picked up these brackets and screws from Home Depot.
We laid them out, and they were very easy to screw together.
To attach my new headboard to the wall, I picked up this french cleat from Home Depot. Do you know how a french cleat works? Check out this nifty little image from the Home Depot website:
You attach one side to the headboard...
...and one side to the wall. They hook together and hold securely, up to 200 lbs.
Here's the new headboard in action, in the guest room...
Oh, and that sunburst mirror? I picked it up at Kohl's for just $8 a few weeks ago! #iloveclearance
After all was said and done, the supplies for this project cost us about $60, and total work time was less than an hour. I call that a pretty good deal.
A Stroll Thru Life | Cozy Little House | Cedar Hill Farmhouse | My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia | Kathe with an E | Inside BruCrew Life | Nap Time Creations | Elizabeth & Co. | New Nostalgia | A Bowl Full of Lemons | Ginger Snap Crafts | Simply Designing | Someday Crafts | Life with the Crust Off | The Newlywed Pilgrimage | The Turquoise Home | Lamberts Lately | Embracing Change | Too Much Time on My Hands | AKA Design | Creations by Kara | Up to Date Interiors | Craft Dictator | French Country Cottage | The Shabby Nest | Liz Marie Blog | Whipperberry | Just Us Four | My Turn for Us