>

Monday, March 18, 2013

grouted vinyl tile

 We made great progress in the half bath this weekend, and I'm going to be sharing these updates all week long! The first (and only) project we completely finished, was actually done a few weeks ago: a new floor.

Check out the full reveal of this bathroom here.

When we moved in, this awful white linoleum was in this bathroom, our laundry room and the kitchen.  
When we were deciding how to update this floor, we came up with this list of things we wanted: something nice looking (obviously), something that was relatively simple to install, and something inexpensive.  

Now, I know this is going to make some people tear up at the thought of this, but we chose to go with vinyl square tiles, and grout them.  We went with this floor because it looks great (and just like ceramic tile, in my opinion), it will be super easy to install in this small space, and it is only $20 for this room.  Another pro for vinyl tile is that it doesn't get cold, like ceramic tile does.  We chose this tile from Lowe's:
Our existing linoleum was in good shape, but just ugly, so we decided to install this floor right over it.  We started in the corner with this piece that needed to be cut for the air vent. 
I took a piece of paper, lined it up where the edge of the tile would be, and then traced where  the tile would need to be cut.
 Then, I flipped my paper, and made shallow cuts on the tile with a utility knife.
After my initial cuts were made, I went back with the knife and cut all the way through, and the piece popped right out. 
Easy peasy.
 Then, all you have to do is peel and stick.
Voila!
 We also decided that we would grout this tile to give it a more natural look, and to keep our squares from moving over time.  Note: Apparently, not all vinyl tile can be grouted, but they are labeled as such at the store.  We used the spacers that we picked up for our fireplace makeover, to space out the tiles.
 When we got to the toilet, we followed the same general tracing steps as the vent, but had to tape some pieces together, and push the paper down to get accurate lines.
My biggest piece of advice on pieces to be cut, is cut the pieces larger than they need to be, and go back to make small cuts to get the perfect fit.
This whole room took probably 3-4 hours total to get the tile down. Keep in mind, I was on day 3 of a cold, so I was moving a little slower than usual.   Here is the tile, pre-grout.
For the grout, since we would only need small amounts, we picked up this pre-mixed grout in "Earth" for about $10 from Home Depot. The smallest bag of the dry stuff was $13.50, so this was a better deal for us.
What is tile without grout, anyway? 
 Here is the floor when the grout was completely dry and sealed.
Doesn't it look so much better?  We are going to use the same grout and tile to update the floor in the laundry room across the hall.
I split the cost of the grout between this room and the laundry room, so the total cost of this flooring update in the bathroom comes to a whopping $25! 
Up next in this bathroom makeover is putting up beadboard, to add some interest and character to this space!

I shared this tutorial at Hookin Up with HOH.

4 comments:

  1. Your bathroom floor looks great. Speaking from experience I would recommend you put ceramic in the laundry room because it will hold up better to the weight of the washer and dryer and the fact that at some point you'll have to pull them out and push them back into place. Anyway, just my recommendation. Great job. You are very talented.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I've been looking for a cheap way to redo our bathroom floor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck! It was so simple, and I'm so happy with it!

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
09 10