>

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

January Wreath

I absolutely love wreaths! They are a great way to dress up a door and make it very welcoming!  In our new house, I plan to have a wreath for most of the months...maybe not summer, but I haven't quite decided yet.

I never know what to do on my door in January since it's still winter and I want it to be festive, but my Christmas decorations have already been packed away.  Then, I was on Pinterest the other day and found an amazing wreath. The original post was by Two Junk Chix.



I made a few changes to the original piece.  For instance, I found that the price of Styrofoam balls was more than I wanted to spend, so I just bought Christmas ornaments at the Dollar store.  The packs are 6 large or 15 small for only $1...so economical! I also decided to wrap the the wreath form in grey yarn instead of burlap since I already had that on hand!

Here's what you'll need:
  • Wreath Form - Michaels ($3 with 40% off coupon)
  • Yarn (I chose light grey/blue, dark grey, white and sparkly silver) - Wal-Mart and Michaels ($10)
  • Twine - Walmart ($2)
  • 18 large plastic ornaments - Dollar Store ($3)
  • 15 small plastic ornaments - Dollar Store ($1)
  • Snowflake Ornament - Hobby Lobby ($1)
  • Hot Glue Gun
Total Project Cost: $20


First, I wrapped my entire wreath form in grey yarn.  This was a bit time-consuming, but once you get a good rhythm going, it's not so bad.  You will end up with a nice texture, and I find it blends in very well with my completed wreath.

Then, I started on making the yarn balls. You could spray paint the ornaments if you'd like, but I found that if I wrapped them enough, very little or the original ornament color shows through.  I started with an ornament, hot glued the end of the yarn to it, and started wrapping.  This takes some getting used to as well, but gets easier after you've made 30+ balls!


After you have all of your yarn balls made, start gluing! I just started adding and letting the wreath form itself a bit; mixing sizes colors and textures with no real pattern.  After I got all the way around, I found a few spots that were a bit "heavier" than others, so I added a few more of the small balls until I got the look I wanted.

Then, after rotating my wreath about a million times to determine where the top was, I added my snowflake ornament to add some sparkle. I am so happy with how it turned out, and can't wait to put it on my door for January!!


2 comments:

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
09 10